Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Journey of a Thousand Miles...




begins with one BIG step onto the yellow school bus. The day I have quietly feared (well one of many) since the minute Blake Grady was born, came and went last Monday, Aug 15th. He is officially a "kindergartner"...though he will quickly tell you he prefers to "just call him Blake"...at Mount Bethel Elementary in Marietta. He was so excited to meet his teacher a couple of weeks ago and let me just say - Amen. We scored the most perfect, cookie cutter, text book, "everything you could want from a kindergarten teacher". Mrs. Barkley has been teaching for about 25 years and is so warm and caring. Blake really likes her and she had me convinced she was the best teacher ever when she told us she still uses the same "letter people" that Mrs. Leon used when I was in kindergarten!! And did I mention that Cobb County offers FREE full day kindergarten WITHOUT a lottery. Of course full day still means he is done at 2:30, but he takes a little bus to the preschool where Luke is and then we pick them up at the same time. It has been an adjustment having a school bus time dictate every minute of your morning! I now have a new appreciation for what it must have taken my Mom to get all 3 of us girls up and at 'em every morning! Here are some photos of his first day. Yes, there were tears shed...by me, but I have to say if I were to cry today it would be of happiness and relief that he is so happy and so far loves getting up every morning. He will tell you his favorite part is riding the bus and he couldn't wait to tell me about his first trip to the school library yesterday! He got to pick out his own book and "check it." I have taken for granted that I have picked out 99% of the books/stories we read for the last 5 years so he is ecstatic to have some independence!








That's him in the front seat right behind the bus #

No comments: