Friday, September 5, 2008

The stages of colic...

oddly enough, are quite similar to the 5 stages of grief.

1. Denial - "Oh, he's just hungry/wet/sleepy ALL the time, trust us, we know what we are doing."
2. Anger - "What did are we doing wrong? Okay, so we give our 2 year old too many fruit snacks and let him watch a little tv, but seriously, colic?"
3. Bargaining - "I will buy you a pony AND let you play hockey when you are old enough if you will please stop crying."
4. Depression - "So what, I have a crier...nothing an MP3 player can't cure."
5. Acceptance - aka Dr. Brown's bottles, prune juice and gripe water (we're still waiting on the Sleep Sheep I ordered to come).

So, after a couple days of our guerilla techniques to "cure" Luke from his colic, I will say we have made some progress. New formula, prune juice, Dr. Brown's bottles and gripe water seem to be working. I probably shouldn't speak so soon, but we have gone a couple of days now without the super long crying spells. Hopefully these changes will start a new trend. I hate the thought of him being so unhappy/uncomfortable for any longer.

The video below is evidence that our precious baby boy does smile, laugh and coo. He has possessed these abilities for a while, but hasn't shown them off much!

I can't believe little Luke is already 8 weeks old today! The time is flying by and we still have so much to cram into our last 4 weeks. :(

1 comment:

HootieMama said...

We used to play a tape (yes, we're talkin' BEFORE cd's!) for Maddie of "white noise". It had the noise of a dryer and a vacuum cleaner (30 minutes each). That helped a little as well. I kinda wish that I still had it -- I'd use it to drown out the whining of our dogs!

I'll be praying for you that this stage doesn't last very long.

Love ya! Jill